Thursday, May 27, 2010

Kaylee, Reading, Writing, Bellingham

I've taken to referring to my niece Kaylee, in my own brain at least, as "my young ward." My young ward is very cranky today. Shh! My young ward is sleeping! It's funny how quickly my day has come to revolve around Kaylee--when she sleeps, when she needs to eat, when she can play around in the dining room while I write or check my e-mail--but it feels less like a job and more like I'm just hanging out with my niece. Except for that really bad teething day--THAT felt like work.

***

I'm reading a ton. For the last two weeks I've been keeping a running draft of my comments on books I've read in the month of May (I told you I'd keep doing it). Because I'm on vacation now, and because I've spent most of my free time reading and thinking about what I've read, that blog post is going to be huge. Start getting ready now.

In related news, I failed at my goal to take two weeks off of writing about four days ago. I made it about a week and a half before I revised some short stories (cheers, Josh!) and sent a bunch of material out. Already got a rejection back on my lone sci-fi short story, and I'm looking for more places to send it.

***

I am off to Bellingham this weekend, and lifting my spending freeze long enough to buy some delicious B'ham food. I'm thinking Casa Que Pasa, some Boundary Bay beer, and a cyser at Honeymoon. If I can sneak sushi in there (lunch at the public market?) I will be even happier.

2 comments:

  1. EAT IT ALL FOR ME! Oh man, I am so excited for Bellingham food/drink.

    Also, I was my niece's live-in nanny one summer, and it was sort of the same thing. Not really work, but at the end of the day you realize your whole life revolves around when one person eats/sleeps/shits...and that's kind of a weird feeling. Also, it was the best form of birth control ever. Man, they are cute...but I really liked giving her back to her parents :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know where you can send your sci-fi short.

    ReplyDelete