Saturday, April 24, 2010

Hell Wednesday

On Wednesday I showed up at work and found out that a network error had wiped out our computers. Apparently McAfee sent an update to its corporate antivirus clients that identified one of Windows XP's key system files as a virus, quarantined it, and shut down the computer. We had no way to fix it. Most of UNH's network shut down.

But I needed the money, so I didn't go home. I sat there without the internet, without any work to do, for five hours. I learned a couple of things from this.

  1. I spend a disturbing number of my waking hours in front of a computer. I work thirty hours a week at two jobs, and both of them require that I sit in front of a computer. At the OCM I'm sometimes at loose ends, and kill time by reading blogs, checking up on Facebook, and reading music/movie/video game reviews and commentary. When I'm logged on to work for Smarthinking, I'll sometimes take a break between student essays to check up on a couple of my sites. When I'm not working, at school, sleeping, or reading, I'm in front of the computer, either writing or responding to my classmates' writing. I'm a little terrified to take a guess at how many hours a week I spend in front of a screen. It's way too many.
  2. DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG FIVE HOURS IS? Five hours without the internet!? My God! The boredom caused by #2 is what made me realize #1. I was itching to check my e-mail, or get on Facebook. Shit, I practically had the shakes. I'm an addict. Instead of writhing around on the ground and sweating it out, I had a nice conversation with my coworkers, who were, of course, in the same situation.
So my goal for the summer is to try to spend less time in front of a screen. I'm not sure how well this is going to work out, since I'm going to try to bust out as much of my thesis as I can (goal for the summer is three-hundred pages of crappy first draft), and I have to work at least twelve hours a week for Smarthinking, but hey, it will be the summer. I'm going to go on runs, go on hikes, get outside, lounge in the sun and read a book--I also have an extensive reading list for the summer, which I plan to supplement with trips to used bookstores. We'll see how it goes.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, five hours is a LONG time! Man, I'm addicted too. I'm afraid to think about how much time I spend on the computer. I think that's why I try to keep off when i can, though, i end up on anyway (or in front of the TV...THAT is a big problem for me)

    Dude, you should read Aimee Bender's The Girl with the Flammable Skirt, and some Murkami, AND Robin Romm's Memoir.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished Aimee Bender's Willful Creatures and am 1/2 way through the collected short stories of Amy Hempel. I need a break from poetry.

    Could you read during those five hours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share the computer issue. I think it's compounded by academia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya-- my last job had me stationed in front of a computer for 8 hours a day. And when I wasn't on the computer, I'd check my e-mail or Facebook on my crappy cell phone.

    Now I'll go pretty much all day without logging in. HOW WEIRD IS THAT?

    Are you in NH or WA this summer?

    ReplyDelete