Monday, October 5, 2009

Fall Traditions

Every fall, as Halloween approaches, my teeth begin to ache and I salivate more than usual. It's time for candy corn.


I gorge myself on this stuff every October. It's a new thing. I never touched it as a kid, not even in high school or early college. But then when I lived with Seamus and Ashley, in the fall of '06, I got really sick and spent a week on the couch, playing Final Fantasy XII, watching movies, sweating, dying, and eating nothing but candy corn and loaves of french bread. Ever since then, candy corn is fall comfort food. I bought a tub at Hannaford's yesterday.

I also need to accompany it with a video game, so I started back in on Link to the Past. What a fantastic game. I played it until I could eat no more candy corn and felt guilty about not doing homework, then I stopped. Also, if you haven't noticed by now, my secret goal here at thisisnolongertheroadtrip is to write about video games until I have driven everybody I know into a state of coma-like boredom.

Ashley and I also bought a scented candle, which is SOP for me in autumn as well. It's my favorite season. School is really, really time-consuming, so I haven't had a lot of time to get out and do things that are actually fun/worth writing about. Ashley and I did, however, buy our plane tickets home. We're getting out of here on the 11th of December and spending almost six weeks in Washington! Get ready Bellingham, friends who still live in the area, and Gabe and Amanda and Kaylee. I also got a second job, working as an online tutor for Smarthinking. I'm going through their training program right now and getting pretty excited about it. I'll have students again, sort of! I really miss teaching, and this will bring a bit of it back to me. The training manual is full of funny composition neologisms. I am an e-structor who focuses on HOCs before I focus on LOCs when I am writing an asynchronous tutorial. They also won't me to know that "although you can't see your students, you can still touch them."

I will, however, refrain from touching them.

4 comments:

  1. Instead of creepy sexual harassment pictures, why don't you post screenshots from A Link to the Past?

    Then your blog will be the coolest of all blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candy corn is disgusting, but in a unique way. It's something like an acquired taste--but not quite. Eating candy corn is akin to a number of serialized experiences, not least of which is the tiny electric shock one gets from licking a 9-volt battery; the subsequent recoil; the inevitable second lick. To enjoy candy corn, however, is to revel in that second lick, prolonging it, tasting 3rd and 4th licks. Where most stop at two, you, Mr. Denning, are not adverse to amplification. This is your gift.

    Also, I pwn at A Link to the Past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will amplify the taste of candy corn until I am sick to my stomach. And I believe you about your Zelda skillz. Fo sho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to touch my students. They WANT us to, Ian. Think about it!

    Also, there is no candy corn in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete