Monday, August 10, 2009

Road Trip Day 4: I <3 Wisconsin


Dear Wisconsin,

I knew I would love you from the moment we stopped at the visitor's center and you had recycling bins. Yours were the first we'd seen since Washington, and they made me happy. Then there were the trees, the hills, the (small) mountains, the lakes and rivers--it all felt like home. I even found a public radio station and listened to the moderator interview a professor about Iranian politics. Wisconsin, you were a welcome reprieve from the never-ending corn fields of Minnesota, lined with their Bible verses and "Life begins at the moment of conception" billboards.

You've got good cheese, and mustard, and tasty cranberries. You've got a great college town (Madison) and friendly people. Your electoral votes went for Obama. I wish I could stay. But I'm just passing through, following I-90 down to the Illinois border, where Ashley and I turn on Sufjan Stevens' album "Illinois" and fork our money over to the toll booth lady. Goodbye Wisconsin.

Until we meet again,


Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment