Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Grad schooled

Policies, information packets, orientations, professors who don't know which day they teach... Yep, I'm back in grad school.

Ashley and I had the introductory orientation yesterday (though Ash is in TA prep all week as well), and we met a roomful of colleagues, a few profs, and a bunch of administrators and office-type people. There are WAY more people here than at WWU, and it's going to be hard to get used to. I probably won't know everybody in the grad school, which is weird, but makes sense considering there's an MFA, an MA in English, an MA in linguistics, and PhDs in literature and composition. Geez!

But I met the other incoming fiction students, as well as a few second years in my program, and I met Tom and Ann, who are the two fiction profs (there's maybe ten or eleven fiction MFA students total, so two profs is all they really need. I'm going to a meeting about Barnstorm, which is UNH's online literary journal--very excited. Classes start on Monday. Things are finally starting to pick up after a very, very long two and a half weeks.

I wish things were picking up on the job search. I interviewed and was turned down for a work study position in the HR department. I'm still waiting to hear from Inquiry, but my fingers are crossed. I have an interview tomorrow for a judicial clerk work study job (office crap), but as far as getting a real job that will earn me more than sixty bucks a week, I'm not having a lot of luck. Craigslist and postings on the employment sites I hit are thinning out, and today I walked and drove through Dover for two hours and didn't find a thing. Friday I'm signing up at a temp agency, which will be unsteady hours at best, but it will be something. End complaint. Wish me luck.

1 comment: