Sunday, March 7, 2010

Recent Happenings

Hey everybody. Just thought I'd give you the rundown, or the lowdown, or the dealyo. Here are some things that happened! Or are happening!

---

We went to a hockey game. It was the last hockey game of the regular season, and UNH (#1 in our league) was playing Boston College (#2) for a spot in the quarterfinals. It was a tense game. By the end of the second period we were down three-to-nothing and it was looking hopeless, but we scored three goals (are they called that in hockey?) in the third period to tie it up, and nobody scored in overtime. It was my first hockey game, and very exciting. I think I might actually see if I can go to a few more next year. There were two notable things about this hockey game:
  1. They played the Canadian national anthem before the game, even though both teams were American and as far as I could tell, everybody there was from either New Hampshire or Massachusetts. I guess it's a hockey thing.
  2. Hockey brings out my most violent impulses. I was surprised at how sedate the crowd was, especially for the first two periods. For two and a half hours I had to stop myself from jumping up and screaming "HIT HIM IN THE FACE WITH YOUR STICK!" while the undergrads and middle-aged alumni behind us commented casually on the plays
So anyway, it was really fun.

---

I'm about to watch the Oscars. I'm hoping Hurt Locker beats out Avatar, but I'm being realistic. We're having people over for dinner--Ashley made delicious bread, we're trying to salvage a soup we maybe screwed up, and our friend Nate is bringing up "lobster macaroni and cheese," which sounds scary but I'm betting will be delicious.

---

I'm a freaking writing machine. I polished off a short story (promising) and a nonfiction article (we'll see what the class says about it) earlier this week, I finished the second chapter of my novel's messy first draft, started another nonfiction piece and wrote half a short story--and those last three things I did today. I feel like Josh Young or some shit. I also commented on a workshop story, sat in the sun, and finished off Stephen King's On Writing, which I'm reading for my form and technique class and which I'm thoroughly enjoying (I've actually read it twice before, but for a few years).

---

That's about all. I'm a little less busy now, so I'll try to update more (Chelsea).

3 comments:

  1. I'm stoked! The more you write, the more I get to read! I'm humbled that you would compare yourself to me, I'm also touched...mmmm...

    I LOVE King's ON WRITING. It was actually really helpful and thoughtful and shed some light onto what kind of write he is and what we, literary writers or not, can learn from his techniques and practices.

    Send that story my way if you want. I'd love to take a look at it, but only if you want.

    Later,
    JOshua

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I love that Josh always comment through Emily's profile. HA.

    Anyways, I LOVE HOCKEY! Before grad school, I used to go to like every single Seattle Thunderbirds game and watch young boys fight it out. Hot, and slightly pedophilic?

    I missed the Oscars. I had to wake up and read some highlights on the Internet. Totally sad.

    Lobster mac and cheese sounds like my personal heaven.

    I'm like the Josh Young of commenting. If he hadn't commented already...

    That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hellsea!!!!!!!!!!!!

    First of all, I comment, cause i don't feel like signing out, then back in to mine...too much work...

    Hey, yeah the Oscars would good. I'm glad Avatar didn't sweep! Even though that film is awesome, it got what it deserved. Ah, the Seattle Thunderbirds + fistfights on the ice= Awesome part of my childhood.

    And even though I am a vegetarian, I second the personal heaven that lobster mac and cheese would be. Em and I got some in North Carlina when we went for SLSA, and it was BOMB...mmmm.

    later,
    Joshua

    ReplyDelete